I once asked an older couple, with 3 boys a 'season' ahead of our own 3, what they
would do differently if they could go back in time.
Their advice was pretty simple, but very profound.
They said,
"The boys would have played less sports
and we'd have camped more."
Now when we got this advice, our 3 were all below the age of 4. So camping wasn't even
a thought at that time. But we filed away that advice for a later day.
Well, that day has arrived. And so we followed the advice.
We gave up fall baseball. Bowdie made that executive decision at the end of summer.
To be honest, I really questioned him on it. But he stood firm.
And I'm so glad he did.
We put 2 camping weekends on our fall calendar.
The first of those weekends just passed.
Memories were made. Special conversations had. Hikes taken.
Fires built. Tent slept in. Teamwork used. Hayride ridden. Skills learned.
We have experientially validated Russ & Julie Crosson's advice.
And we see the total wisdom in it.
So grateful that we listened and acted.
Where we camped ... highly recommended by a good friend of mine from Bible study.
Her family are big campers. She has amazing kids.
We totally trusted her advice.
One downside to camping - it takes a good bit of work to
gather all the goods. And whether you stay 2 nights or 5,
the amount of stuff is essentially the same.
So thankful that Bowdie is an amazing packer and can fit it all in.
Only thing we left at home were the bikes.
Not sure how we'll fit them in on the next trip,
but we definitely are.
Picking our campsite. We were platform #6.
There she is ... our campsite 'home' for the weekend.
Notice that there is a covered platform for our tent.
This was the big seller on this particular park.
Great thing to have in case of bad weather.
(which we did NOT have - it was an absolutely gorgeous
fall weekend.)
Here's the before look ... everyone's ready to unload!
Jarrett stacked our firewood neatly.
Blaine-o bringing in the firewood.
Funny - not one of the boys complained about all
the trips from the car to the campsite with our stuff.
Really. Not one single complaint.
Bowdie and Blaine laying out our tent.
Praise the Lord for 21st century tents. Because my parents have a rule
that there are 2 things that married couples shouldn't do together:
1. hang wallpaper
2. put up a tent (old fashioned kind with pegs and such)
The new kind are a breeze to put up.
No marital spats were had. Whew!
And here's what it looked like once we were all moved in ...
Making our campsite sign.
Thanks to Family Fun magazine for the idea ...
Everyone pitched in to help ...
I think it turned out pretty cool, huh??
Cooking hotdogs on the campfire.
Loved the metal pit already set on the campsite for us.
It even had a hinged grate that would go over half the fire if grilling
was desired.
I mean, would it be a camp out without s'mores??!
Saturday morning. Several very good lessons learned.
1. Go to bed fully clothed - toboggan included.
Jarrett had a rough night because he went to sleep
with no shirt, no socks and no hat.
2. On camping trip #2 we will include our electric
space heater. It won't actually heat the tent up, but hopefully
just cut the chill.
'Cause it was chill-y!
Blaine's funny quote:
'Mom, it felt like we slept in Antarctica
last night!'
Pancake Daddy, even on a camp out. So thankful for electricity.
I mean, I'm all for camping, but electricity and water are 2 musts.
I guess that means I'm all for camping, but on my terms ...
does that make me a control freak??!
(don't answer that ...)
Getting ready to hike on Saturday ...
The Team at our site ...
Taking a walk on a beautiful fall day.
No TVs, no ballgames, no distractions.
Just Team Jenkins.
Heaven.
Me & the boys ...
Jarrett shot this.
He's pretty doggone good!
Fun creek shot.
Notice the road behind the boys goes thru the creek.
The boys thought this was awesome.
You can barely see the 3 boys on the bridge.
But look at those beautiful colors ...
The Team still hiking.
See the car going across the creek??
Impromptu moment caught on film.
Blaine loves to hold hands. Still.
Hopefully he always will.
After the hike, Mr. Wonderful crashed.
J-man resting with his book.
Guess what we did after naps??
Yep - crossed that creek in the car.
The boys absolutely loved it!
Love the scenery. Gorgeous.
We found out Saturday afternoon that there would be
a hayride at 7 Saturday night.
Of course we were game. So we went.
It was a ride like we've never had before.
We met a super friendly man on the ride that informed us
this is a tradition at Victoria Bryant. Hayrides in the dark
going super fast over the hilly and windy roads of the park.
And over the creek.
We definitely got our $3/person out the ride.
It was more like a roller coaster!
Blaine helping Bowdie split wood.
Saturday night bedtime ... all bundled up!
I love this post! So fun! I love camping and look forward to wonderful activity in the future. Also, I love family fun magazine. We made the acorn fairy necklaces.
ReplyDeleteLOVE IT!!! You are a WONDERFUL mom to boys! Love that the campsite had cover and was not on bumpy ground...maybe I could handle that, maybe. So glad all of you had a wonderful time and made some great memories!! Cool photo crossing the river!
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun family outing! Looks like yall had a great time! Makes me want to go now! Bet it was such a blessing to get away from the city and make new memories as a family!
ReplyDeleteAn, i love how your posts are telling stories now. Love that new camera!! ;)
ReplyDeleteThat shot of you walking with your boys from behind, wow--tear-jerker. Framer.
what a super fun weekend, loaded with lots of memories and tons of "team" building moments. priceless. makes me want to go, too...where to start on getting ALL that gear, though?!
I am most definitely not a camper (surprise, I know!) but this post made me want to take our family camping when the right time comes. So, like you did, I am filing this away for someday!! What an amazing time you had! I have to admit, I did tear up at the shot of Blaine-o holding Bowdie's hand. I hope all mine will always want to hold hands too. Your family is so precious and we love you all so much.
ReplyDeleteLOve this!!! And I really love the advice that older couple gave! I feel the same way! We're a camping kind of family :) Joel just took our boys camping a few weekends back (our kids are still pretty little) but we can't wait to go as a whole family :)
ReplyDeleteGreat to meet you!
I especially loved Blaine's hat (More Than Gold) I think we have a few of those around hear from our days in Salt Lake.
ReplyDelete