Friday, July 29, 2011

Dust, Heat & the Little Red Hen

During the week before school started,
Bowdie and the older 2 headed to Durhamtown.

Did I mention the temp was right around 100?
And the humidity ... well, I don't know the percentage, but let's just say high.

It was supposed to be a family trip, 
but Jacob started a nasty cough the day before.

I figured the dust and heat would not do anything to promote healing,
so we stayed home.

But Riley and Papa went ... along with the Warbington boys,
Mock boys, and Smith boys.

I was brokenhearted disappointed slightly saddened to miss the boys riding,
but I was ecstatic to stay in the air conditioned house all day!

B-RRR-ight and early!

Blaine

Jarrett

Riley

Riley looks so grown up here!

Nice mixture of dust & sweat on Blaine's face ...

Blaine & Jarrett

Just a bit dusty, huh?!

Did I already say that I was glad to be inside all day?

Yes, the boys are tan, but I'd bet most of that brown look on them
is good 'old Georgia red clay.
(pretty sure Papa's shirt was white at the start of the day)
Who needs a tanning bed??!!

MEANWHILE, 
BACK AT THE RANCH ...
Jacob and I were having a grand time ...
he got to choose our activities for the day.

We played games, 
made cookies (gingerbread - his choice),
and the Little Red Hen made an appearance!
(that'd be me, when I make homemade bread)

It was great 1:1 time with him ...

He suited up all by himself ... hat and all ...

I call myself the Little Red Hen because we start from scratch to make the bread ...
just like the Hen in the children's book by the same name ...
first we have to grind the wheatberries to make flour ...

And this honey is used to sweeten the bread ...
it is 'made' right here at the Cleft - in Ms. Maggie's hives ...
mmmmmmm ...

Putting in the flour ...

Reading 'The Little Red Hen' while the bread rose ...
yes, I'm a teacher through and through 
and had to keep with the theme ...

We even made cinnamon rolls with the dough ...

Not bad, huh??!

All in all, a good day ...
whether in the air or in the dust!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would LOVE to hear from you!