I'm totally guilty of it.
I grew up doing it.
It's a really hard habit to break.
As church-goers, it's an easy trap to fall into ....
Expecting the lost to always come where I am,
instead of going out where they are.
I'm so grateful that NewBranch forced me out of this habit.
It was totally uncomfortable.
It was even a little scary.
But in the end, it was awesome!
This year, as a church family, we took a week and devoted it
to a low income area just 3 miles from our home.
The week was called AMP -
Auburn Mission Project.
Instead of an international mission trip,
we did a home mission trip.
Instead of flying across the world,
we stayed literally in our very own back yard.
Lots went on this week -
we had an AWANA soccer camp for ages 3/4 to 5th grade.
Groups visited door-to-door at the trailer park & apartments.
Landscaping & painting went on to help beautify the area.
I was on the soccer camp team.
We averaged about 60 campers each day.
I loved getting to meet so many kids that I didn't know.
I loved seeing them show up at 9 a.m. to eat some pancakes.
I loved watching as so many men in our church participated,
taking vacation time from their jobs.
I loved seeing the church serve.
And being a part.
It was a great week.
Hot, long, tiring ...
but wonderful.
So blessed that He would position me to take part!
I grew up doing it.
It's a really hard habit to break.
As church-goers, it's an easy trap to fall into ....
Expecting the lost to always come where I am,
instead of going out where they are.
I'm so grateful that NewBranch forced me out of this habit.
It was totally uncomfortable.
It was even a little scary.
But in the end, it was awesome!
This year, as a church family, we took a week and devoted it
to a low income area just 3 miles from our home.
The week was called AMP -
Auburn Mission Project.
Instead of an international mission trip,
we did a home mission trip.
Instead of flying across the world,
we stayed literally in our very own back yard.
Lots went on this week -
we had an AWANA soccer camp for ages 3/4 to 5th grade.
Groups visited door-to-door at the trailer park & apartments.
Landscaping & painting went on to help beautify the area.
I was on the soccer camp team.
We averaged about 60 campers each day.
I loved getting to meet so many kids that I didn't know.
I loved seeing them show up at 9 a.m. to eat some pancakes.
I loved watching as so many men in our church participated,
taking vacation time from their jobs.
I loved seeing the church serve.
And being a part.
It was a great week.
Hot, long, tiring ...
but wonderful.
So blessed that He would position me to take part!
Here are some pics from the soccer camp.
Of course, the boys participated with gusto!
Of course, the boys participated with gusto!
I love all these pics - see the 2 ladies in the top left?
They have a huge heart first for the Lord,
but then for the people in this poverty stricken area.
Really challenged me!
Top right: that's our pastor & one of the elders.
That might be the 1000th thing of water they filled!
Bottom left: 2 of the teenagers that served as well ...
Bottom right: again, 2 elders that served as crossing guards on
each side of the busy road ...
They have a huge heart first for the Lord,
but then for the people in this poverty stricken area.
Really challenged me!
Top right: that's our pastor & one of the elders.
That might be the 1000th thing of water they filled!
Bottom left: 2 of the teenagers that served as well ...
Bottom right: again, 2 elders that served as crossing guards on
each side of the busy road ...
Me & Lauren ... she headed up the soccer camp
and did an ah-mazing job!
Bo cooking up burgers & dogs on Friday.
He helped set up every morning (early!!),
then cooked pancakes for the kids,
then went to the office for a couple of hours,
and then came back to help tear down & pack up.
Then went back to the office for the rest of the day.
Every day.
And was more than happy to do whatever else was needed.
Love that man.
BIG.
We had a closing ceremony for the parents on Friday,
then a big cookout.
The kids performed the songs they learned during the week.
Then each coach got to have his/her team come up,
introduce them, and congratulate them.
Our pastor ended it with a Gospel presentation.
This is my favorite picture from the week.
Sums up the camp to me.
That's one of our senior boys serving the 3/4 year-old team.
I don't think it needs any commentary ...
it's worth a thousand words.




No comments:
Post a Comment
Would LOVE to hear from you!