Sunday, January 6, 2013

Bowdie's Big Birthday Bash!

It all started with this note on Bowdie's mirror in the bathroom ...


Actually, it started way before that.
Like in November when I was wondering WHAT IN THE WORLD 
to do for his 40th.

Thanks to some encouragement from my friend Stacey,
I decided to do something that totally stresses me out ...
plan him a surprise party!

It was a combined effort on several fronts:
Stacey & Chuck let us use their basement for the party,
as well as came up with the rouse to get him down there.
Christa helped decorate,
Mandy photo'd the whole event,
Mom made the massive cake,
Bowdie's parents brought some awesome old pics.

Anyway, back to the story.
I posted the note on Bowdie's actual birthday.
He read and replied with a resounding YES!

The boys had basketball the day of our date ...
my parents took them after their game and off we went.

I planned for a BBQ lunch (Bo's fave) at Jim & Nick's.
Delish!

We then headed to the mall to shop a little and kill time.

We left there and I told him how to get to the nearest Massage Envy.
He didn't realize that was his treat.
My man LOVES a good massage!

While he was massaging away, 
I ran to the nearest Redbox to grab a movie -
just in case he wondered what we were going to watch once we were back at the house.
I also grabbed some donuts from Krispy Kreme.

When I got back, he was done and looking all droopy eyed & relaxed.
We jumped in the car to head home
and I secretly texted Chuck to call Bo in about 10 minutes.

So, as we're almost home, Bo's phone rings.
It's Chuck.  There's a water leak in his basement.
He needs Bowdie to come look.
He thinks its the ice maker again.
(this has really happened, so it wasn't a far fetched story at all!)

Bowdie talks him through some things to try.
Chuck says he's done them all.
At this point I KNOW that Bo has no idea about the party.
He's giving him way too much advice on how to fix the 'supposed' leak.

We pull up.
Bo gets out and heads over.
He tells me to come too.
I have a folder in my hand (for the party) and he asked why I have that.
I just tell him that its something I wanted to show Stacey!

We walk in and Chuck has played the part to a T.
His shirt is untucked & unbuttoned (he has on an undershirt!).
He has on no shoes.
He has a wrench in his hand and a frustrated look on his face.
He shows Bo the ice maker - that has water puddled in front of it.  Nice touch Chuck!
He then asks Bo to come with him to the basement to see the leak.

We walk down the stairs and just as Bo turns the corner ...


And a resounding chorus of 'For He's a Jolly Good Fellow.'
It was perfect, I tell ya!

Some of the decor ... so fun!!

So many sweet friends & family came - it was amazing!!


Some shots of everyone just enjoying ...
as soon as Bowdie calmed down from the surprise,
I then took that folder I had and read to Bowdie some of the sweet & funny things
people had written about him.
(I had asked, in the evite, to answer 3 questions about him -
1.  the last time I saw him cry was ...
2.  when I think of Bowdie I think of ...
3.  favorite memory of/with Bowdie)

That was probably my favorite part of the whole party.
Because everyone loves Bowdie.
But not often does he get to hear why.
It blessed me big time, but I think it blessed him immeasurably more!


And the monster cake!
Thank you Nana!!

A few more fun shots ...
love the guys doing the Cleft sign ...

Such a fun night,
so many blessings.
I thought of the quote from 'Its a Wonderful Life' ...
"No man is a failure who has friends."

So, so true.
All evidence, once again, of God's GREAT grace!

1 comment:

  1. i LOVE this! good job, an, honoring your man and planning a big party like this!! hate we missed it! you know team lyon loves your man!

    ReplyDelete

Would LOVE to hear from you!