Well, Bo and I did it once again.
In true spring fashion,
we found yet another 'diet' to try out.
Seems like we do this every year.
And its not necessarily a bad thing.
But we both want something that will stick.
This one was pretty hard core.
For 30 days we had to cut out all sugar (real & artificial),
all dairy, all beans/legumes, and all grains.
What we got to eat was lots of fresh fruit & veggies and
lots of meat & eggs.
The thought behind all this is found in the book
'It Starts With Food' ...
In this book, the authors (a husband and wife team) give all the research behind
foods and what our bodies do with them when we eat,
whether good or bad.
There's a bunch of scientific stuff in there and they do a fabulous job of
explaining it so that anyone can understand.
Basically, though, the premis is that you strip out all those categories above
for 30 days to kinda do a nutritional reboot.
Then you slowly add them back in one at a time
and see how they make you feel.
Then you decide if you want to keep eating them or not.
The 30 days actually went pretty fast.
After getting over the 'carb flu' the first few days,
the rest was relatively easy.
Here are my big take aways from it:
1. eating a good, solid breakfast is key
2. fat is not the enemy - and has been mislabeled for too long
(there are GOOD fats, people!)
3. there are a lot of lies out there of things we HAVE to eat for good health,
when, in reality, fresh produce & fresh meat are perfectly nutritious
(milk being one of those things)
4. you are what you eat eats
(read that again)
5. people are extremely sensitive about their food/food choices
(must have a thick skin to do something out of the ordinary!)
6. it's important to listen to my body because I know when I feel good
and when I feel yucky or bloated - those are good signals to STOP!
7. I love junk food ... and if I could, I'd drown myself in it everyday.
But I can't do that and function.
So I have to choose to eat healthily.
(but I will indulge from time to time!)
Here are pics of some of our favorite meals:
This is a typical breakfast -
Trader Joe's chicken sausage, egg/tomato/spinach scramble,
and fruit
(does that really look like I'm missing out on anything??!)
Pizza with an almond flour crust
Fried (fresh) eggs over sweet potato hash with fruit
Now our favorite fruit, hands down!
And these are THE best snacks ever!
We also ate lots of salads, avocado, and we even had bacon!
Bowdie ended up back at his baseball playing weight,
and I lost probably about 7-8 pounds.
But better than that,
our clothes fit so much better,
we sleep much more soundly,
and we feel like this is something we can use as a guide long term.
In the words of Tony Horton:
We refuse to get old and gooey!

I am inspired and those dishes looked downright yummy. When are you having me over breakfast - haha!!
ReplyDelete