Sunday, November 28, 2010

Specials Spots ...

While in Dawson, I wanted to utilize my
new camera to capture some of my favorite
places.

Over my 38 years, not much has changed there.
There might be a little asphalt where there used
to be dirt, but other than that, it's the same.

So here are some of my favorites ...


This is the field behind the house ... this is part of the 300+ acres that my grandfather farmed.  
You can see the house and shed in the distance.  
This land is now rented and farmed by a good family friend.  


And this huge-mongous thing is how you irrigate acres and acres of
farmland in the middle of a squelching summer in south Georgia.
This too is part of the Jones family land.


This is the row of pecan trees that line the road 
right near the house.
Can I tell you how many thousands of 
pecans I've picked up and then
shelled in years past?? 

I remember fondly my grandfather sitting on the front
stoop with his pecan cracker and a 5 gallon bucket full of nuts.  
Sweet memories.

  
This was my Uncle Julian's home.  
He has now passed, along with my Aunt Irene.
This house was always in pristine condition.  
It's exactly a mile from the farm house.

I remember many a tractor ride (with me on the wheel well) 
with my grandfather to come and visit his brother.  
I also remember Uncle Julian's rather colorful
vocabulary!  :)


The road that my Uncle Julian's house is on is named after him.
I just found out on this trip that the road in front of the farm house would have been Jones Road (for my grandfather), 
but this one was already named.




Another farming plot of my grandfather's land.  This is down, about a half a mile from the house. 

I remember that my grandfather raised hogs
down here, in a little patch you can't see.  
We'd come with him really
early in the morning to feed them.  
Again, sweet memories.


This is the country church where my grandparents attended - 
Sardis Baptist.  
I mostly remember the wooden pews and 
the little ladies that sewed pillows to sit
on so that the hard pews wouldn't leave you numb!  

I also remember my grandfather leading the singing on Sunday mornings ... and they sang all verses of all hymns ... :)


Can't see it really well, but my grandfather's name, Otis Jones, is there as one of the 
deacons serving when this building was built. 


And this is the community center ... 
my dad said he remembers once a month
dinners here when he was growing up.
Now that's community ...


And this is the old mill pond, just down past some of the Jones
family farmland.  My dad says that they actually skiied in it 
during the summers.  Hard to believe since it's just a bit
weedy, with lots of stumps and growth.  Pretty nasty!


And here's my posse on the venture ... 
all the grandkids wanted to
come along. Loved that!
  
It was fun for them to see all the places 
that hold so many memories for all of us. 

A special thanks to my dad for being the tour guide! 









1 comment:

  1. special stuff.
    i feel the same way about all of our family land/history up in Dillard, GA. did a similar post to this one a few years ago, highlighting those super special spots. LOVE it.
    thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Would LOVE to hear from you!