Sunday, February 20, 2011

Jacob's LEGO-rrific Birthday

Our youngest is now over 1/2 a decade old.
Six. 
It sounds so big.
He's so fun and I love him at this age,
but when I see pictures like this:

I could go back in a heartbeat.
That seems like eons ago.
It truly is amazing how children grow
and change, not only in size but developmentally as well.
Man, I may have to take a moment to compose myself.
Whew!

Okay, so on to the birthday!
This year Jacob has discovered the joy
 of Legos.  He absolutely is fascinated by them.

It helps that his good friend and across the street
neighbor loves them too!

So when choosing a theme for his party
(and I love that he's still young enough 
to want a theme)
it was a no brainer ... LEGOS!

I made the invite using this picture.
These were Star Wars Legos that he assembled.
I then used Picasa to type the party info
directly on the picture.
Then, through the miracle of the internet,
they were sent to Walmart and voila!
The cheapest, easiest and probably cutest
birthday invitations I've ever made!

Jacob on his actual birthday, which was on a Sunday.
Birthday pancakes made by Pancake Daddy,
of course!

Special gift from Mommy & Daddy ...
a Lego watch with Buzz Lightyear on it!
Who knew??!!

The party was the Saturday following his birthday.
Nana once again did a great job on his cake.
He requested chocolate cake with chocolate icing.
A boy after my own heart.

I got some great ideas from this website.
It's my go-to spot for party planning.
Remember my post about being a great copier??
I set up stations with a game at each.
I had duplo legos with the stations' names written
on them.
Jacob drew a lego each time we were ready to move.

While friends were arriving, I had coloring
sheets for them to work on.
Lego, of course!  Off the Lego website.
Here are Nicholas and Will.

Sweet Kallie.
She represented the only estrogen at the party.
And she did just fine!

Next station:  Lego toss.
They had to try and toss a ring on 
the Lego tower.
Harder than it looks!

Ummm ... this would be me.
Have you ever tried to explain a party game
to a group of 4/5/6 year olds?
Kinda like herding cats.

See what I mean??!!

Next game:  Lego drop.
They had to take a Lego, hold it up to their forehead,
and try to drop it in the mason jar below.
Again, not super easy!

Next station:  Lego initials.
Jarrett headed this one up and did a fantastic
job.  I was so proud of him!
The kids had to build their first initial out of Legos.
Some were easy ... some a little tricky!
Jacob had no problems making a J.

Ty's T ...

Tucker's T also ...

Will made a great W ...

Nicholas got creative with his N ...

Brody's B ...

And sweet Kallie's K ... Jarrett helped her out ...

Next station:  Party favor put together.
I went on Amazon and ordered Lego party favors.
Each child got either a jeep or an airplane 
to assemble.  The whole kit cost me $15 for
8 kits.  I thought it was great!

Loved seeing Jarrett and Will W. helping the kiddos out.
Some go it ... some had difficulty.
But it was all good!

Next station:  Brick Brick Lego.
Blaine headed this one up.
Basically it was like Duck Duck Goose.
The kids were so cute!
And do you see how gorgeous the weather was??!

Seriously L-O-V-E this shot.
Look at all the smiles.
That's genuine happiness right there.

Even the big kids were smiling.
Makes my heart happy!

I mean, he just looks so big right here.
I can hardly stand it.
The days are long, but the years are short.
Love that quote.  Don't know who said it.

Sweet thing blowing out his candles.

Thanks, Aunt Beck, for capturing his love of the cake!!
I mean, it looks like he's in a chocolate trance.
And yes ... it really was that good.

Brody's little sister, Jolie.
Could you eat her up or what??!!

Next up, gifts!
Jacob loves them almost as much as I do.
Love the expression!

With each gift, he had to tell why the giver
was his friend.  I love how sweet he was about all 
of them.  Reasons ranged from 
'friends since preschool'
to
'my new friend at church'
to
'he makes me laugh' ...
PRICELESS!

We love you BIG
Jacob Clayton Jenkins!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would LOVE to hear from you!