This post is the first ever written by 11 year-old Jarrett.
He just returned from a dream trip ... read his version below!
It was the day I was graduating from fifth grade. My parents had already given me their gift and it was Aunt Becky's turn to give me hers. I was so excited to see what I got from her. Then she pulled out her phone and showed me the video of Coach Bobby Meachem telling met that I was going to come down to Dunedin and get to see the team play. He also said I was going to stay at their house too. It was one of the best gifts I had ever received!
Watching the video on Aunt Becky's phone
Aunt Becky explaining ...
Initial reaction ... pure joy!
Love this shot!!
Looking up the Dunedin Blue Jays and Coach Bobby.
Gotta get up to date on stats & names!!
On June 4th when we got to the airport, I was really excited and really nervous. I knew this was going to be the best trip ever. After we got thru security we jumped straight onto the plane and got ready to take off. It was an hour and ten minute flight to Tampa Bay, Florida.
After the flight landed we went straight to Aunt Beck's car. Next we started our 45 minute drive to Dunedin. Thats's where the Meachem's live. When we got to the house I met Mrs.Gari, who is Coach Meachem's wife. We talked about our life and told each other facts about ourselves. After we finished talking went out to eat at a italian restaurant. When we finished eating we headed to the field to watch the game. The Blue Jays won 4 to 3.
When we went back to their house and watched some more baseball on their TV. Coach Bobby didn't get back till 10:00, but we still didn't go to bed till 11:00. The next morning we woke up and ate breakfast. Then got ready to go to the stadium to go practice and see what the clubhouse looks like.
About 11:00 we went over to see the clubhouse and practice. I got to see the lockers of the players and the lockers where the pro's put their stuff during spring training. The stadium is also the spring training facility. After that he took me to the batting cage to hit. I had to hit with a fungo bat. which will ring your hands whenever you don't hit the sweet spot! When we got finished hitting we went to a smaller turf field so he could hit me grounders. Aunt Becky was at first base catching the balls I threw to her from real second base and real shortstop. That was the best experience I had ever had playing baseball!
When I had to leave the field we went to this resturant called Panera Bread. It was really good and it was quiet, so Aunt Becky and Mrs.Gari both did a little work. We couldn't go to the beach, so we went to see Iron Man 3. It was my second time seeing it, but it was still exciting. It was an hour or so till the game started so we went out to eat Mexican.
When we finished eating we went straight to the ballpark an watched the game. This time they lost 7 to 4. We left in the 8th inning to go and get homemade ice cream. I got cookies & cream and it was really, really good. Once we finished the ice cream, we headed back to the Meachem's house. I watched some more baseball before I headed to bed.
I woke up the next morning, showered, and got ready to head to the airport. We ate breakfast, said our goodbyes, and left. There was a HUGE security line at the airport but we made it through in plenty of time. Our flight was delayed by 10 minutes. We landed in Atlanta 1 hour and 7 minutes after taking off. We hurried to meet my mom because Aunt Becky had to catch another flight.
The trip was probably the best thing that's ever happened to me. I hope I get to see Coach Bobby and Mrs. Gari sometime soon. I'm so happy and thankful that Aunt Becky took me on this trip!
At the airport, ready to head to Tampa with Aunt Becky!
At the game with Aunt Becky ...
With Coach Bobby at the game ...
With Coach Bobby & Aunt Becky at the facility
With Aunt Becky & Mrs. Gari
Hitting in the cage with Coach Bobby ...
Look at that smile!!
We can't ever thank Becky enough, or Coach Bobby or Mrs. Gari.
This kid is still smiling.
He now spends even more time practicing in the yard ...
with his new pitch-back, thanks again to Aunt Beck!
And Jarrett also came home with a book about being an athlete and glorifying God in that.
He's been diligent to read AND take notes on a chapter a day. Wow. Love it!
He's even asked that Bo and I read with him so we can discuss.
Love that even more!
The love we, as parents, have for our kids is deep & strong.
But when others love them big,
and speak to them in a 'language' they really get,
and intentionally invest quality time into them,
that is a parental pleasure like no other!!








I am an absolute mess! What an honor to be called Aunt Beck! Much love to Team Jenkins!
ReplyDeleteman, this had me in tears, too.
ReplyDeletethis is just so precious!
so, so special.
love that aunt beck!! like none other, eh?!
and how special was this to be written by jarrett, too? what a great writer!