Dreams Park planned a big opening ceremony for Saturday afternoon.
This included several things:
*recognition of all grandparents in attendance (they even got shirts!)
*a kick line by some of the mom's in the audience
*a moving rendition of YMCA by some of the dad's
*2 parachutists
*a parade of all the teams participating
and
*an opening speech by the founder of Dreams Park …
not surprisingly referred to as 'Coach'.
I was really kind of dreading this - I had heard it was long.
And usually the weather is really hot.
But we had a beautiful sunny, not hot, not humid day.
It was perfect!
This gives you an idea of the stadium and the crowd … lots of people!
This was the recognition of the grandparents - they had a whole section
reserved just for them! It was dead center field - best seats in the house!
See if you can pick out Mr. Jenkins … hint: he has on a gray Dacula hat!
Some of our moms were picked out of the crowd to be in the kick line.
Too fun!
Note to self: get in on this when we go back! love the free shirt!
Here's Coach.
Love that he introduced his wife too.
And that he shared with us the story of how she told him to go for it,
when he shared his dream of this park with her.
He said he told her, 'But if this fails, I'll be bagging groceries somewhere.'
Her answer? 'Then I'll be bagging groceries with you!'
I love, too, that he told a story to basically communicate one truth to the parents:
this week is about the kids.
So lay off.
Back off.
Let them enjoy and have fun.
And make memories.
Next up - 2 parachutists!!
I mistakenly assumed they were young guys.
Nope! Two older gentlemen …
dressed in baseball uniforms, of course!!
Next up, the parade of all the teams for the week …
each team could choose whether to wear blue or red shirts.
The boys chose red, since they wear navy as part of their Dacula uniforms.
Not having a BIT of fun … at all.
I mean - seriously??!
Yes, I got teary eyed!
And this guy??
Loving. Every. Minute.
Just part of the boys as they lined the wall of the field.
The pledge and the National Anthem
There was a Canadian team participating,
so they got to sing 'Oh Canada.'
It was pretty neat!
Grabbed a quick shot after ceremonies were over.
I wasn't having any fun either … can you tell??!
Afterward, the teams immediately went to the different skills competitions.
There were several different ones, with a player or players from every team participating in each.
*king of swat (homerun hitting)
*around the horn (throwing drill with 9 players)
*golden arm (throwing accuracy)
*road runner (speed)
Jarrett was in the around the horn competition.
He was in left field and had to make the last throw to home plate.
This is a timed event.
I thought they did great!
Running to his spot.
Afterward, the team gathered up to watch their teammate in the King of Swat.
Once the different competitions were over, the top 3 or 4 out of each one competed
for the title. We all moved back into the Little Majors field to watch that.
It was amazing how far some of those home runs were hit … yowza!
Such a fun opening day!
Now onto games ….
No comments:
Post a Comment
Would LOVE to hear from you!